Friday 9 November 2012

Savary Island Pie Company

Marie and I weren't ready to admit that our relaxing weekend getaway was over, so we stopped at Savary Island Pie Company for a late lunch on our way home.  Word on the street is they have the best soups and sandwiches in West Van, and pie to die for.

I will admit, the sandwiches did not disappoint.  I ordered the vegetarian sandwich and it was big, filling, fresh and yummy.  Marie ordered the grilled cheese with tomato and she said it was the yummiest, cheesiest grilled cheese that she'd ever had.  However, the prices did disappoint.  Both of our sandwiches were $10 each before tax.  For that price I was expecting a lot more than home-made bread, mayo, lettuce, tomato, aged cheddar, cucumber and a few slices of avocado.  Heck, for that price I could have bought an entire loaf of their gourmet bread and went to the store and bought a whole cucumber, whole tomato, head of lettuce and an avocado!  And the reason there was no soup purchased is because they wanted $6.95 for a bowl.  Ridiculous!

The restaurant itself is very cute and cozy, but it is very tiny and becomes a bit overwhelming when it's busy.  You definitely have to fend for yourself and throw a few elbows in order to get a table.  The people working there were nice, but not overly friendly or helpful.  I even overheard them talking about how they may have to ask a few people to leave because they'd been there for a while and others were waiting for a table.  I don't know how long they had been there, but if I paid $11 for a sandwich, I'd hope it would buy me at least an hour of sitting time whether it's busy or not!

The saving grace?  The pie.  Best pie I have ever had (sorry Mom.  If you made strawberry-rhubarb pie, I have no doubt that yours would be better).  They even served it warm...and word on the street is that you can get it a la mode if you want!

So, my personal opinion is don't go for lunch.  Go for a mid-afternoon piece of pie so you can enjoy your scrumptious pie in a more relaxed atmosphere and get a better bang for your buck.

Things to note: there is tap water and canning jar glasses available at the back of the restaurant, free of charge.

My vegetarian sandwich ($10.95).

Marie's very yummy looking grilled cheese with tomato (approximately $10).

My strawberry-rhubarb pie ($4.95).  Mouth watering yumminess!

Marie's apple pie to go ($4.95).

My view at lunch.  All of the breads and baked goods were so tempting!

No comments:

Post a Comment