Tuesday 21 May 2013

Tacos + Cookies + Sun + Cousins = Happiness

I recently had a treat of a lunch when my cousin came and met me for her first food truck experience ever!  When she gave me her short-list of potential food truck options and Tacofino was on it, I knew we had to go there.  Not only is it an original, but it is classic, the food is delicious and it never disappoints.  Plus, it gave me an excuse to try more of their menu!  The best part of the meal, though?  As we're about to order, I say "We have to get a Chocolate Diablo cookie to share" and my cousin says, "Actually, I found their recipe online and made a batch fresh this morning" and whips a ziploc bag full out of her bag!  How awesome is that?!  Totally made my lunch.

Interesting Tacofino facts: (1) Tacofino does catering.  You can either phone their Commissary location (2327 E Hastings St.) or tweet them (@TacoFinoCantina) to make your order, 24 hours notice is plenty of time, and they deliver.  Definitely keeping that in mind for our next office lunch.  (2) Tacofino has a restaurant!  So, when you're craving some tacos in non-food truck hours, make your way to 2327 E Hastings.

On to the photos:

My cousin's first food truck meal (left to right): 1 Fish Taco (crispy ling cod, cabbage, chipotle mayo and salsa fresca - $5) and 1 Black Bean Taco (salsa fresca, crema & queso fresco - $4.50).  The fish taco is classic and is an absolute must if you haven't eaten at Tacofino.  My cousin thoroughly enjoyed both tacos!

My culinary delights (top to bottom): 1 classic Fish Taco and 1 Tuna Ta-taco (soy, sesame, wakame, ginger and wasabi mayo - $6.50).  I was going to try two un-tried menu items, but just couldn't refrain from ordering a fish taco...so good!  As for the Tuna Ta-taco...delicious!  I was very impressed with the amount of tuna (I would guess the size of a deck of cards), it was cooked perfectly (no raw bits but not over cooked) and tasted like it had been lightly marinated in soy sauce...and I absolutely loved the seaweed salad and pickled ginger on top.  I'd definitely highly recommend this one!

Dessert!  My cousin completely outdid herself on these...amazing!  Just the right amount of spice and salt, not to mention they were hard on the outside and soft on the inside, but not gooey.  The best part?  They were made fresh that morning and the sun warmed up the chocolate chips so they tasted like they were fresh out of the oven.  Unreal!  If you want to give these a try yourself, you can find the recipe here: http://eatst.foodnetwork.ca/tvshow/recipe/35/chocolate-diablo-cookies/ .  My cousin said she wished she'd had dark chocolate chunks instead of milk chocolate chips...I thought they tasted great as is, but it could be an interesting variation to try.
 
Twitter: @TacoFinoCantina

No comments:

Post a Comment