Thursday 1 August 2013

House Salad - Whitewater Cooks

When I was over at the Fit Family's house recently, I noticed that Fit Momma had the Whitewater Cooks at Home cookbook.  I always have a hard time narrowing down which recipe to try since they all sound so good, so I asked Fit Momma if there were any she would recommend and she said the House Salad.  When I read it over, it sounded good but not like anything special so I figured I'd make it to go with my lunches for the week.  My assessment of not anything special wrong sure was wrong!  Seriously a spectacular salad!  I had some with my lunch on the weekend to make sure I liked it and I had to have a talking to myself about leaving some for my lunches that week.  Yet another Whitewater Cooks recipe that you could whip up for lunches or for when you have guests over.  I love how easy and versatile they are!  Okay, on to my version of the recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1 head of lettuce (I used green leaf since that's what was at the farmer's market)
  • 1 large beet or 2 medium size beets, grated (yet another reason I love my food processor...no more red hands!)
  • 2 Roma-size tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds, toasted
  • 1/2 cup of fresh dill, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of feta, crumbled
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 dashes salt
  • 4-5 grinds of pepper
  • 1 tbsp. of chopped dill
Clean and tear/chop up the lettuce into your serving bowl.  Sprinkle the grated beets, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, dill and feta over top.  In a small container (I used a small canning jar) combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and tablespoon of dill.  Shake to combine well.  Pour over the salad, or serve on the side.  Serves 4 generous servings.

The House Salad!

Lunch!  Olive Rosemary bread care of Pure Bread...amazing!
 
 
Twitter: @Purebreadwhis

No comments:

Post a Comment