Saturday 29 September 2012

Alibi Room

Now, I don't know about you, but one of my favourite desserts of all time is a nice, ice cold, frothy beer.  I'm not talking about Bud Light, or Molson Canadian, but a treat beer.  One of those beers that makes you appreciate the fact that you're having a beer.  As a result, I was really looking forward to going to Alibi Room for "dessert" after dinner at Momo Sushi.  I was even more excited because I had phoned ahead to confirm that they had pumpkin beer (yes I'm that dorky) and they had three pumpkin beers on tap!!!  Or at least so I thought...

It turns out that they only had one pumpkin beer on tap and the other two were the back-up kegs, waiting for their call-up to the big leagues.  I was a little disappointed but still couldn't wait to satisfy my pumpkin beer craving.  So, I ordered the chocolate pumpkin porter.  Now, this was a very nice beer.  A bit darker than I normally like to drink, but still very nice.  However, advertising it as a pumpkin beer is complete and utter nonsense.  You taste a lot of chocolate and absolutely no pumpkin. 

I kept my fingers crossed that one of the other pumpkin beers had turned pro in the time that I was drinking my beer, but unfortunately they hadn't.  I knew I couldn't end the night on a disappointment beer, so I decided to fall back on my love of wheat beers that never seems to let me down.  I asked the bartender what he suggested in the wheat beer realm and he recommended a sour wheat beer.  Again, it was a nice beer, but it tasted more like a cider than a wheat beer to me.  One of my favourite parts of wheat beers is their cloudiness and this one was definitely not cloudy.  I would have never guessed it was a wheat beer.

With that, I concluded it was not a beer-lucky night for me and I called it quits.  I was a little disappointed because I'd never had anything but fantabulous luck with the bartenders' suggestions and recommendations at the Alibi Room.  That being said, although I didn't have the beers I had my heart set on, I still had two great beers, the atmosphere was still awesome and it still holds a special place in my heart as one of my favourite places in Vancouver to go for a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment