Sunday 30 September 2012

Creperie La Boheme

Today started off with a lazy morning and a scrumptious breakfast at home (bacon, fried eggs...in the bacon fat of course, hashbrowns and strawberries...such a treat!) followed up by the watching of "I am Legend."  I'm not going to lie, those monsters are creepy!

So, needless to say, by the time lunch rolled around, it was time to get out and take advantage of some of that fabulous sunshine!  I got on my handy dandy laptop to see where the foodcarts were hanging out.  The conclusion was to check out the Kitsilano Farmers' Market. 

Now, let me warn you, going to a farmers market when you're famished is dangerous.  I literally wanted to eat everything from ever stand...food cart or not!  However, we narrowed it down to crepes from Creperie La Boheme.  I was so excited when I saw the crepe truck.  With all of the hubub of trying out the new trucks, I'm embarrassed to say that I had forgotten about one of the originals.  So, there were no if's and's or but's to it, I was going to eat lunch from one of the original food carts.  The only difficulty was picking a crepe!!

I was torn between the Ham and Cheese or the Ali Baba.  Every time we moved up a step in line, I'd flip flop back and forth.  I thought the Ham and Cheese would be more filling, but the Ali Baba sounded so good!  I eventually left it up to the crepe masters.  When I asked her which she would recommend she said Ali Baba hands down without an ounce of hesitation, and boy was she right.  Red pepper spread, roasted garlicky eggplant spread, goat feta, a variety of greens and vinaigrette on a buckwheat crepe.  An out of this world flavour melding explosion!  I was in heaven.

My handsome man friend opted for the Savoie: bechamel, cheese, potato, sage, smoked beef, greens and vinaigrette.  Also scrumptious.  I took one bite and instantly thought "this is 100% a manly man's meal."  If it could have talked, it would have said "If you are a man, I am the crepe for you" in a deep husky voice.  My handsome man friend agreed.  So, for all of you out there with man friends who feel that they're too manly for a crepe...you tell them that you have a crepe for them!

Things to note: (1) Cash only.  (2) I have never not seen a line-up at this cart, but it is well worth the wait.  (3) The crepes are filling and enough for lunch.  (4) Their buckwheat crepes are super light and don't overpower the fillings at all.  My one beef with wrap-like meals is that I normally feel like I'm eating a whole bunch of wrap...but not with these crepes.

Highly recommended!
 



Savoie

Ali Baba


No comments:

Post a Comment