Sunday 21 October 2012

Tuscan White Bean Stew with Rosemary

Dinner tonight was Tuscan White Bean Stew with Rosemary, whole grain sourdough bread, baked buttercup squash (from my sister's garden!) with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, and a glass of the Howe Sound Pumpkin Ale.  Now that's what I call a Fall meal!

It was my first time trying the Tuscan Stew recipe from The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook "Food to Live By" and it was darn good, if I do say so myself.  The stew had olive oil, yellow onion, carrot, celery, bacon (bizarre but amazing!), roma tomatoes, cannellini beans, rosemary, chicken stock, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.  It was hearty and oh so flavourful!  Definitely warmed me from the inside out.  I would post the recipe but I'm not sure of the ins and outs of whether that's okay, since it came from a published cookbook. What I will say, is that it starts like pretty much every other soup recipe, you chop everything in 1/4 inch dice, the beans are dried so it simmers for 2-3 hours, and you just add a dash of balsamic vinegar at the end for flavour.  However, if you're looking for more specifics, I'd highly recommend this cookbook.  It's one of my favourites and I haven't tried a bad recipe from it yet!

The buttercup squash was easy.  Baked it for about 30-40 minutes and added a bit of butter and sprinkled brown sugar and cinnamon over the top in the last five minutes.




Normally when I cook squash, I ignore the seeds.  Tonight I wondered if I roasted them if they'd taste like pumpkin seeds...they sure do!  These will definitely be a nice treat or addition to salads over the next couple of days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment