Monday 10 June 2013

The food ramifications of being a Canucks fan...

Like any other hockey fan, I joined the office hockey pool for the 2013 season.  Being the die-hard Canucks fan that I am, I did what I always do...picked all Canucks.  I know, I know not the best strategic move...but at least I'm not secretly cheering for that one player on the other team who I want to score and ruin Schneid's/Lu's shut-out.  The only problem this year, was that my draft pick was 11th out of 12.  Not a good scenario.  I didn't get either of the Sedins...crucial when your entire team is Canucks!  My picks?  Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Luongo, Higgins, Hamhuis, and Lapierre...Kassian and Kesler also made brief appearances via trade throughout the season.

So, why am I talking about a hockey pool in my food blog?  It has to do with a side bet.  After seeing my team, two of the guys in my office put forward the the following bet: if I didn't come last, they would buy me lunch...if I came last, I would have to buy both of them lunch.  How could I say no?  I had full faith in my team!  Unfortunately, this blog is dedicated to the lunch I had to buy them.  Sniff sniff.  The negotiated venue?  Cactus Coal Harbour. 

To all those Canucks that I picked in my hockey pool...if you ever feel like taking me out for lunch for being such a true blue Canucks fan, just name the time and place!

Drinking my sorrows away with a double Signature Caesar: smirnoff vodka mixed with our signature blend of spices and clamato juice, finished with a borettane onion, fresh bocconcini, vermouth soaked olive and a peruvian pepper...a caesar with olives and cheese?  Love it!  ($10.75)  In the background, one of the winner's cran sodas.  ($2.85)

To start - Calamari: red pepper, jalapeno, fresh dill, chipotle aioli, tzatziki.  Oh how I have a weakness for calamari!  ($12.75)

Victory meal #1 - The Burger: seasoned certified angus beef patty, aged cheddar cheese, alder smoked bacon, sautéed mushrooms, and red pepper relish with fries.  ($15)

Victory meal #2 - The Burger with fries.  Both gentlemen made a point of saying multiple times how good the burger was.  I'm sure part of it was to rub it in that extra little bit...but they both also licked their plates clean.  Definitely encouraged me to order The Burger next time.

I figured I should get a meal with a bun to help sop up my tears, so I opted for the Grilled Albacore Tuna Club: ocean wise albacore, tarragon tartar, bacon, arugula, cilantro, pickled ginger, olive oil ciabatta.  ($15.25 + $1.75 for salad...definitely missed this additional cost on the menu)  This was very nice but wasn't quite what I was expecting.  I was expecting light and refreshing and it was a bit more heavy.  Very yummy regardless, and the salad was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment