Wednesday 19 December 2012

Dinner at the Vancouver Christmas Market

With the lack of rain this past Friday night, I couldn't resist heading back to the Christmas Market for another Gluwhein and to try out some of the food.  It was just as much fun as the first time, albeit a bit more busy.

Things to note: (1) Just a friendly reminder that the entire market is cash only.  So, I'd recommend stopping at the bank beforehand unless you want to pay the surcharge at the Christmas Market ATM.  (2) If it's on your way, you should stop off at the information booth on Robson between Howe and Hornby before you make your way to the market.  My market partner in crime did and got a free entry to the market for a $2 purchase ($5 value) along with two $1 coupons for the Black Forest Sausage Company and a free ride on the carousel!

Dinner!  Half of a bratwurst on a bun combined with half of a smokie on a bun, with fried onions and sauerkraut from the Black Forest Sausage Company.  ($8)  This was good but didn't blow me out of the water as much as I thought it would.  The onions and sauerkraut didn't have as much flavour as I was expecting.  I think that's partially because I'm used to pickled sauerkraut and I don't think this sauerkraut was pickled.  That being said, you can never go wrong with a sausage and I inhaled it in about 2 minutes flat.  We both agreed that we liked the smokie half more than the bratwurst half, probably because that's what we're used to eating.

Gluwhein round 2.  So yummy!  ($6)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming by the Vancouver Christmas Market Shayne, and for offering such wonderful tips to your wonderful readers. I love the last photo of gluhwein round.

    The majority of the market is cash only, with the exception of a few vendors that do take plastic. But it's definitely advisable to visit a bank first before coming.

    Thanks again for taking the time to write about the VCM. We hope that you'll have the most amazing Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete