Monday 17 December 2012

Higher Grounds Coffee - Chai Latte and Scrabble Challenge, Round 2

I figured yesterday's rainy Sunday morning was the perfect time for the second round of my Chai Latte and Scrabble Challenge.  The location?  Higher Grounds Coffee house at Broadway and Vine.

I really enjoyed this coffee shop.  It had a comfy cozy feel to it, and stuck to its heritage building roots.  My breakfast hadn't satisfied my hunger completely, so I grabbed a Breakfast Cookie to have with my Chai Latte.  It was good, but a bit dry and not as filling as I'd hoped it would be.  As for the Chai Latte, it was flavourful but I think they must use syrup to flavour it because it was very sugary to the point that I think I got a sugar rush.  My friend tried an Americano and said it was good but nothing special.

However, the coffee house itself got our Scrabble juices seriously going!  We had an epic game with a final score of 374 (me) to 285 (challenger).  For the first time in my entire life, I managed to play all seven tiles at once!!!  Plus, it happened to fall on a triple word score for a total of 77 points in one move!  It just may have been the peak of my Scrabble career.

So, the long and the short of it is that it's a great coffee shop to get in out of the rain, visit, play a game, or study.  However, I would probably order a tea over a chai latte next time.

My Scrabble challenger's Americano, my Breakfast Cookie (oats, raisins, applesauce, pumpkin seeds, brown ricepuffs, flaxseed, sunflower millet, driet apricot and apple), and my Chai Latte.  My breakfast cookie and chai latte came to $7.65.

The view from our table.

The final scrabble board.  Almost got to all four corners again!  And if you're curious what my 77 point play was...terrines...upper right corner...an earthenware jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment