Tuesday 8 January 2013

Merry Ukranian Christmas Eve!

After learning how to make perogies, I figured what better way to test them out than on a very dear friend and her Ukranian husband.  So, I had them over for dinner this past weekend only to discover that the evening I'd invited them over for was Ukranian Christmas Eve.  What are the odds of that?  Needless to say, it added a bit of extra pressure but, the good news is that I passed with flying colours.  In fact, not only was I told that the perogies and cabbage rolls were excellent, but when my friend's husband finished his meal, he actually applauded!  Greatest compliment ever.

My home-made potato perogies.  Boiled and then fried in butter and onions.  Not the epitome of healthy food, but definitely the epitome of yummy goodness.

Home-made cabbage rolls.  My friend who taught me how to make perogies had made cabbage rolls a couple of days before I came over and had very kindly saved me some to take home.  I couldn't wait to dig into them!  Cooked with sauekraut, beef broth, tomato soup and bacon.  If I do say so myself, these were the best cabbage rolls to ever come out of my oven.  The flavour was out of control!

Baked spaghetti squash with butter, parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon juice and nutmeg care of the Whitewater Cooks cookbooks.  Yummy as always.

Kolbasa from the Oyama Sausage Company on Granville Island and the Chocolate Imperial Stout from the Granville Island Brewing Company care of my lovely guests.  This kolbasa was absolutely delicious!  Plus, it made my day to discover that there's an Oyama Sausage Company in the city.  Best sausage ever!!  As for the Chocolate Imperial Stout...hands down one of the best beers I've ever tasted.  It was amazing.

Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment