Friday 4 January 2013

The Rosberg Macaroni Casserole

I was recently invited over to some very good friends' for dinner, but this was no ordinary invite.  You see, I have quite a bit of respect for this lady's capabilities in the kitchen, but she blew me out of the water this time.  She and her husband had been out of town for the holidays and arrived back into town around 5:30pm.  I had to pick something up from them, so I'd messaged them to see what time would be good and they invited me to dinner.  I thought she was off her rocker!  Arrive home at 5:30pm, make home-cooked mac and cheese, have it ready for 7pm and invite your guest over for any time after 6pm?  Impossible!  I had no idea how she was going to pull it off, but I'd never turn down an invite for home-made mac and cheese so off I went.

Well, the secret is that it was her Dad's recipe that he used when she was growing up and not only is it delicious but it's super easy!  So, I couldn't resist passing it along.

Start by cooking one package of macaroni noodles and drain, once cooked.  At the same time, cook enough bacon to cover the top of your casserole dish.  Then take one can of tomato soup, add 1 can of milk to it and mix.  Add about 2.5 cups of grated cheddar cheese to this mixture and mix.  There is no need to heat this mixture.  Combine the noodles and cheese mixture in the greased casserole dish, top with the broken up pieces of cooked bacon, and broken up pieces of crackers or bread, and then sprinkle with about 0.5 cup of grated cheese.  Bake at 350F for approximately 30 minutes.

It was the exact comfort food that the doctor ordered!  And, in case any of you are heading up to the hill anytime soon, it would be perfect for an on the hill meal.  Enjoy!

The remnants of the delicious Rosberg Macaroni Casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment