Monday 7 January 2013

The Oakwood...and the best cab driver EVER!

This past weekend I worked up quite an appetite during a fabulous snowshoe on Saturday morning, so we decided that brunch was a requirement.  Neither of us had tried the Oakwood and we'd both been dying to go, so we made our way there.  Talk about an amazing restaurant!  It has such a warm and cozy feel to it.  You literally feel like you hopped off a run on the ski hill and are cozying up next to a fireplace to warm up.  I loved it!

As for the food, it was even better than I was expecting.  I am going to be bold and say that it just may have been the best brunch I've ever had.  I had the corned beef hash which had tiny square hashbrowns in the bottom of a bowl topped with sauerkraut, two soft poached eggs, house corned beef, all smothered in a dijon hollandaise.  I can't even explain how delicious this meal was.  Plus, it was the perfect amount of food, and all for $11.  I should warn you, though, the brunch menu is limited and each dish has its own unique twist.  Personally, I loved all of the options and had difficulty deciding which one to get, but if you're not in an adventurous brunch mood you may want to check the menu first to ensure there's a dish or two that would tantalize your tastebuds.


My brunch partner in crime ordered the Lumberjack which came with scrambled eggs, house breakfast sausage, smoked bacon, hashbrowns, salted cucumber and toast. I was lucky enough to steal a taste of the breakfast sausage and salted cucumber and both were very yummy. My brunch partner in crime thoroughly enjoyed her meal to the point that she said even the toast was tasty! Again, all for $11.


Okay, now I know this is verging on crazy but, I enjoyed myself so much for brunch that when my friend and I were trying to figure out where to go for a wobbly pop in the evening, I couldn't resist suggesting the Oakwood. So, I went back for a drink that evening and it was just as lovely as it was for brunch. They have a fabulous selection of craft beer, it was as comfy cozy as ever, the service was great and friendly, and their cocktails and poutine were also very yummy.

Round 2 - I can't remember what my friend had on the left but I had a pint of the Whitebark Ale from the Driftwood Brewery in Victoria. Scrumdidliumptious!

Round 3 - A Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes Brewery in Portland Oregon. I love this brewery and love this beer even more. My taste buds were very happy campers after this drink. 

Round 4 - A Ginger Fizz and a Bourbon Sour. Both were delicious but boy did that Bourbon Sour pack a punch! I was glad that I ordered the Ginger fizz. Muddled cucumber and lime, gin and gingerale, egg white foam and a fresh rosemary sprig for stirring. It was unbelievably refreshing and delicious. 

No evening is complete without poutine! This one came complete with brisket. It was a bit smokey for my taste buds, but still was yummy. 

Interesting fact about the Oakwood: they take reservations.
 
After our evening at the Oakwood was complete, we hopped into a cab to make our way home. Not only did we manage to get a cab as soon as we stepped onto the street but, as soon as we got into the cab, the cab driver was offering us doughnuts!! Turns out that the Tim Horton's at 10th and Alma is slow when UBC is not in session, so the lady gave him a free bag of doughnuts with his sandwich. Needless to say, we couldn't turn down such a fabulous offer so my friend and I split one on the way to my place. The best part is he refused to let me go until I took another doughnut for breakfast the next morning!   Best cab ride EVER!


In closing, the moral of the story is that The Oakwood rocks and only leads to good things. So, get your butt over there and try it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment