Monday 25 February 2013

East is East

My little cousin was back in town for reading week, so I was super excited when she suggested getting together for dinner and even more excited when she wanted to go to East is East!  First of all, I love this restaurant.  Second of all, I haven't been in far too long.  Third of all, I had never been to the Main Street location and was super excited to check it out. 
 
As always the food was delicious (there wasn't a scrap of food left on any dish), the service great, the atmosphere as warm and inviting as ever but much more open and bright than the Broadway location, there was an amazing band playing (I believe they were called the Chai Orchestra) and we were even lucky enough to watch some fabulous belly dancing care of a patron.  All in all a fabulous visit and meal!  If you haven't been to East is East, you definitely have to add it to your "must try" list.
 
Boulani: traditional Afghan whole wheat roti stuffed with potato, green onion and herbs, served with chickpeas, dehydrated yogurt, beets and sprouts.  Very yummy!
 
My cousin's Afghan Nomad Roti Roll: lamb roasted in ginger, onion, garlic and five spice curry.  Served with green salad and dhal soup.  (Approximately $14)
 
My Uncle's Ghengiz Khan and Persia's Favourite Roti Rolls, served with green salad and dhal soup.  The Ghengiz Khan had minced beef with mushroom, green pepper, tomato and herbs.  The Persia's Favourite had a lamb kebab with spinach and white basmati rice.  (Approximaely $17)  
 
My Aunt's Mango Prawns: prawns sautéed in a spicy mango, lime leaf and star anise curry on basmati rice.

My Rumi's Meal Roti Roll: beef, eggplant, mushrooms, red pepper and Afghan rice.  Served with green salad and dhal soup.  Absolutely delicious!  (Approximately $14) 
 
Dessert!  Eastern Ecstacy: rice pudding, ice cream, and a warm gulab jaman (traditional indian cake) on top with rosewater, pistachio and cardamom.  Very yummy!  ($7.50)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment