Friday 8 February 2013

Mom's Grilled Cheese

It had been a while since I had been to Mom's Grilled Cheese, but with the cool weather recently I was craving some tummy-filling comfort food for lunch, so myself and some lovely ex-colleagues made our way to Mom's food truck at Howe and Robson.  Delicious as always!  If you haven't been, you should definitely check it out.  Yummy food, the ladies in the truck are super kind and fun to chat with as you order, AND, for you vegans/gluten free folk out there, they even have gluten free bread and deya cheese!  So, don't delay...just get your butts down there!

My classic grilled cheese with a shot of their absolutely to die for tomato soup.  ($10.10)  Sour dough bread, cheddar cheese, with tomato.  The chips come with the sandwich, as does one slice of pickle but I got two extra because: (1) they were understaffed and felt bad about the wait (even though it was a shorter wait than most food trucks) and (2) they forgot my tomato initially and apologized profusely even though it only took them an extra 30 seconds to fix it.  As my love of pickles goes very deep, this made up in spades for two things that I didn't even feel were an inconvenience.  Definitely 10 out of 10 for service.
 
As for the shot of tomato soup, I discovered something amazing!  I ordered the shot because I knew the sandwich and cup of soup would be too much food for me and I figured the shot would allow me to get a couple of sips and satisfy my craving for tomato soup.  However, when I ordered it, the lady asked if I wanted it now or with my sandwich.  I asked for it with my sandwich, to which she smiled and said "To dip, right?  That's the only way to go!"  I smiled and played along even though I hadn't even considered dipping it.  Well, after hearing how excited she was about dipping, there was no way I couldn't try it...it was the greatest melding of flavours ever!  It took their unbelievable grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level.  My mouth is literally watering just thinking about it.  So, next time you grab a grilled cheese, make sure you order a shot of tomato soup as well and get some dipping action in.

Cheddar cheese on french bread with a shot of tomato soup.

Cheddar cheese on marbled rye with a shot of tomato soup.

One of the cutest trucks around town!

No comments:

Post a Comment