Thursday 28 March 2013

My very own creation...

So, I am 100% a meal planner for the week.  Mainly because I have an out of control appetite and making sure I always have food on hand helps keep it in check, but I also find it just makes making meals easier.  However, this week I got mixed up at the grocery store and I didn't buy enough veggies for dinners...gasp!!!  I started scrounging through the fridge and discovered I had about 3/4 of a bunch of parsley left.  At first I thought, "Well that won't be of any help."  Then I remembered my favourite part about shawarma...okay, I won't lie, I love absolutely everything about shawarma...but I do get a little bit extra excited about the parsley salad that often comes with it!

I got out my handy dandy computer and googled "parsley salad" and got the response of Tabbouleh.  I then did some crazy detective work, also known as going to www.allrecipes.com , and looked up some Tabbouleh recipes.  Most of the recipes I found included some sort of grain (bulgar, quinoa, etc.) and the recipe I wanted to try and recreate didn't have any grains in it, so I decided to wing it.  Good news is that it turned out pretty darn good and I think I'll incorporate it pretty regularly into my meal making this summer.  If you're interested in giving it a try yourself, here goes:

Ingredients
  • About 1 tsp of olive oil
  • Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
  • Dash of salt
  • Couple grinds of pepper
  • 1/2 bunch of parsley, chopped fine
  • 1/2 roma tomato, chopped fine
  • 1 very thin slice of yellow onion, chopped fine
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper until it's a dressing consistency and you like the taste.  Add the remaining ingredients, combine and eat!  Makes approximately 1 side serving for  1 person.

No comments:

Post a Comment