Sunday 17 March 2013

Pasta and a long lost friend, all in one Nook...

When I was growing up, I went to kindergarten and grade one in the lower mainland and then my family moved away.  Being a typical seven year old, and having to leave all of my nearest and dearest friends behind, I was heartbroken!  Looking back on it, I realize how silly it was, but I never did forget those friends.  Fast forward fifteen years, and I ended up moving back to the lower mainland.  As I was moving into a new apartment, my friends who were helping me move bumped into their cousin and his girlfriend, who happened to have the parking spot next to me.  Over the next year I became good acquaintances with these neighbours of mine, only to get a facebook message one day from the cousin's girlfriend.  As she was looking through her boyfriend's cousin's friends on Facebook (come on, you've all done it!), she noticed my full name....we'd been best friends in Kindergarten and grade one!!!!  What are the odds of that?  Needless to say, we felt that it was a friendship sign that was not to be ignored.

Fast forward to this past weekend when we headed to Nook for a great visit, a fabulous meal of homemade scrumptious pasta, equally delicious non-homemade wine (thank goodness!), and heavenly desserts.  I had heard nothing but amazing things about Nook and I agree with each one whole-heartedly.  If you're in the mood for some true Italian and a fun comfy-cozy atmosphere, you definitely have to make your way to Nook.

Things to note: this restaurant is truly a Nook.  It completely made the atmosphere, but it is jam-packed all night long.  We got there around 5:45 and got the last table.  From that point on, there was a line of about ten people for the rest of the night.  So, moral of the story is, go early or be ready to have a glass or two of wine in line! 

My Casarecce: italian sausage, roast fennel, olives, tomatoes and chilies.  Yummy!  You can't beat fresh pasta.  My favourite part?  The large mountain of parmesan cheese that the dish came with.  You didn't even have to sit there and feel like a glutton as they looked at you with their "you don't want me to stop yet?" look.  Fabulous!  ($16) 

My long-lost friend's Gnocchi with baby meatballs.  This dish was, without a doubt, out of control!  I highly recommend trying this yummy goodness.  ($17)

My view of Nook.  I loved the way that the one wall was covered with mirrors.  Even though I was facing the wall, I still could still see and feel the atmosphere of the restaurant.  It was great!
 
My long lost friend's Panna Cotta, which she thoroughly enjoyed. 
 
If you're anything like me, you'll also noticed the very cool ring she is wearing.  I loved it!  When I asked her about it, I discovered that it is made out of a fork.  It was one of the neatest rings I'd seen in a long time.  If it intrigues you as well, you can find more of this talented lady's creations by searching Yubiwa on facebook.  They're beyond neat.
 
My Tiramisu.  This Tiramisu was unbelievable!  I can't even describe it with any justice, so you're just going to have to try it.  Unreal.

The X that marks the spot!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment